On September 18, 2010 I completed my 40 X 50 14er Challenge. That is, to climb 40 of Colorado’s 54 14er mountains before I turned 50 years old. I completed that challenge last Saturday (with 4 months to spare) on Blanca Peak at 14,345 feet along with my long time climbing partner Don Lochner.
Some interesting statistics:
- Started (informally) in 1998 with my first 14er climb of Grays Peak, 12 years ago.
- Total 14er ascents = 54 (which is also interesting in that there are 54 (recognized) unique 14ers in CO. While I did not climb all 54, I did complete 54 assents on my 40th 14er.
- Total estimated distance hiked = ~486 miles
- Total estimated altitude gained = ~190,000 feet
- Total estimated hiking time = ~500 hours
- Number of summits that I missed due to weather = 1 (Castle/Conundrum)
- Number of times that I ran for my life in a thunderstorm while at altitude = 2 (La Plata and Pikes)
My next act is to start climbing more of the CO 13ers now and concentrating more on the photography and “fun” aspect rather than the “Get er’ done” aspect. And finally, I want to start climbing with Sam and Henry.
And that will all start next season…