4,000 meters is an unrecognized altitude threshold within the United States. However, it is as well known where the metric system is used, as 14,000 feet is known in the US. This page is dedicated to climbing those peaks in Colorado that rise above 4,000 meters (13,123 feet)

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Mile High Mountaineering Flatiron 38 - Backpack of the Gods!

OK, so it can take me a few times to get something right now and then. But, I can be a bit picky. I have been through three packs already this season and really, the season has not yet started.

It began innocently enough with a closeout Granite Gear pack. It was nice. A good pack but it didn't work out. Next came an Osprey pack. Osprey is one of the finest makers of backpacks and I have been using their gear for years. But, alas, it was not to be. The Kestrel looked good on paper but for various reasons it did not work for me. Mostly it was the lousy plastic back panel that bulged with a full pack.

Then a student in my Wilderness Trekking School class told me about a new Denver company called Mile High Mountaineering (http://www.mhmgear.com/). They are small. They only make three packs. They have only been in business since April 2011. But boy, they make a damn fine pack.

packs-flatiron-38-red-front

The Mile High Mountaineering Flatiron 38 Backpack.

(image courtesy Mile High Mountaineering)

The MHM Flatiron 38, at 38 liters, is for me a perfect size for a day pack. I have not measured its volume but it seems a BIG 38 liters. MHM has not cut any corners on this pack either. This rig is full-featured and contains several features simply not found on other packs.

I won’t go into details as to the Flatirons specs, features, etc. You can, and I urge you to do so, check out the MHM web site for a complete description of all their gear. I will say that the construction, materials, fit and finish are perfect. Its beautiful to look at and it carries loads quite well.

A few details I really like are the way that MHM has implemented the adjustable shoulder straps. You access Velcro adjustment straps from the inside of the pack. Very simple and MHM has even provided torso length measurements so if you have someone measure your torso, you may start directly with the actual measurement on the pack and see how it feels.

MHM has also provided huge zipper pulls so that you can zip/unzip while wearing gloves or mittens. There is a sturdy full length zipper down the front of the pack providing easy access to the pack innards without disgorging all your gear to get at that extra pair of socks at the bottom of the pack. There is a double row of gear loops (4 on each side) running down the front of the pack. It also, to my great surprise, incudes a rain cover. But with the water-resistant zippers I am not sure how needed a pack cover is.

MHM…Check em’ out. Like any good business, MHM of course is building product in order to make a living. But Jeff Popp (president) and the rest of the gang at MHM clearly want to be successful by building the best packs. I look forward to seeing their product line broaden.

No comments:

Post a Comment